Posted by Dr. Judy at 3:00 am
What does your mind conjure when you think of the word “savor?”
If you are a positive psychology connoisseur, this may be an easy
one for you. You know the formal meaning according to positive
psychologist Fred Bryant… “a process that relies on mindfully
engaging in thoughts and behaviors that heighten enjoyment;
savoring regulates the impact of positive events on positive feelings.”
Did you know there are four major forms of savoring?
1. Basking ~ Leads to pride.
2. Thanksgiving ~ Leads to gratitude.
3. Luxuriating ~ Leads to pleasure.
4. Marveling ~ Leads to awe.
With the holidays upon you, succulent food savoring may seep into your
senses first. But savoring all life’s festive flavors infuses spice into your whole
life, not just via your palate! For me, savoring has nothing to do with food.
This picture (can you feel me smiling as I type?!) illuminates my sweet,
all-encompassing savoring Mom. OK, when we share a chocolate chip cookie
Mom’s caretaker, Bill, plies us with, that does add a dab more frosting to our cake!
Yeah, like he really has to force one on us!
Mom rings my jingle bell of savoring the loudest every time. Were you curious
about this photo? Mom is reading a card from her special friend, Tom Drill,
world class volunteer. Sitting beside her is the pup Tom sent Mom to add
sprinkles of delight to her holidays. It surely did!
How about you?
Here are a few tips to help you notice and add flavor to whatever you savor:
1. Feel your positive feeling and magnify the moment.
2. Verbalize your feeling out loud and share your joy with others.
3. Accept your feelings, focus on the wonder of them, and be amazed.
4. Stay in the “now” rather than compare your feelings to past ones.
5. Gently push away any negative thought, judgment, or distractions.
6. Pause and let gratitude wash over you and express it freely without censure.
7. Look for the good everyday; use negativity to ignite a reminder of positivity.
As this year is ending, know that I have sucked up and savored my blessed
relationship with each and every one of you. May this holiday season mirror
back to you the joy, love, and light you have so generously bestowed upon me.
I cherish you!
Savor a new adventure and the beautiful photography in my new book:
Photo Adventures in Cuba ~ Unlock Your Power of Positivity”
Click here to take a peek!
I’d love to hear from you!
Just send me your questions, and I will answer in a future blog.
You can also connect with me on facebook, LinkedIn, or twitter